By Mohammed Ali Kalfood
Two people were killed and eight others were injured when guards at the Defense Ministry clashed with a Republican Guards’ defected group who tried to storm the ministry on last Tuesday over grievances, a Military Committee official said.
General Ali Saeed Obaid, spokesperson of the Military Committee, said a “defected group” from the Second Infantry Brigade, which was replaced in last week under a different military command, refused orders and clashed with guards at the defense ministry.
The 2nd Infantry Brigade, which was based in Sana’a under the Republican Guards command, was replaced under a southern military command, according to a restructuring order issued on August 7 by President Abdo Rabbo Mansour Hadi.
“The 2nd Infantry Brigade is about 3000 soldiers and those who defected were about 150-200,” Obaid said. “They refused orders as it seemed they feared they could lose some privileges.”
Obaid said the Military Police were called in, broke the fighting on, and arrested 62 of the defected brigade.
He said there was no casualties among Military Police and that identity of the two killed were unknown.